Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 15, 2002  4:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 2/14/2002 10:15:54 PM Central Standard Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:

> SPEAKING of which, let's talk about R&B people with a good classical
> foundation!! Alicia Keyes has a wealth of classical training as does Tori
> Amos and other pianists - so why is classical training a worthwhile
> endeavor
> for a pianist who plans to focus on popular music and a waste of time for a
>
> singer???
>
> Christine Thomas
> Wauwatosa, WI

Because the sounds and coordination demanded are different. I just saw Bryn
Terfel sing a pop duet with Tom Jones on tv... it was horrible. Ever heard
Montserat Caballe's stuff with Freddie Mercury.... yikes! The only opera
singer I've heard cross over successfully is Dawn Upshaw, but then again she
comes out of pure chest on the bottom.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17532 Re: Pop-style BroadwayLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  2/15/2002

emusic.com