Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  7:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 2/14/2002 9:58:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
farmer@a... writes:

> I have never gotten the impression that she felt that the
> lower register was bad or wrong, but rather that it could be damaging
> for young girls' voices. She used, as an example, Andrea McArdle and
> the Broadway play "Annie", and seemed to feel that the belting she did early

I've heard that before and wonder if that is for certain types of voices
only(eg: lighter, more delicate mechanisms), as I belted my fool head off my
entire childhood into my early 20s, bringing my raw chest up to Eb at the top
of the staff, and it did not damage my voice at all. (Although it did damage
my learning curve. It took me 5 years to find a semblance of a mix, and
another 7 to really blend it.)
TinaO

emusic.com