Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  4:27 pm
Subject:  Pop-style Broadway

Hi:
Our studio specializes in teaching musical theatre (singing/dance/drama) so
I'm happy to reply to this post.

12 year old students are still growing and developing so whatever training
they are given, teachers must be careful not to impose any techniques and
repertoire that will be damaging. (Too bad so many kids that age want to
sing Memory from Cats - Yikes).
We order repertoire from Hal Leonard all the time. They have wonderful
books with Broadway solos for kids, HOWEVER, if you get books with CD's -
have a listen first because some of the "kid" singers they use sing with
such poor technique and diction that allowing them to listen to these kids
won't help you if you're trying to teach "proper" singing.
We try to mix "technique", (here I'm referring to breathing, support,
diction, phrasing) with style (theatre sound/focus and developing the
character) so that those who do not wish to be "classical" singers, won't be
trained as such.
We do use Royal Conservatory vocalizes (like Concone, Panofka etc) to
develop musicality with the technique. We also demonstrate the "pop"
Broadway style versus the "classical" style so that they understand what is
different. (This depends on the age and ability of the student, too. Not
necessarily do we do this with younger kids.)
Many of our students are chosen by us to compete in a Canadian competition
that has a large musical theatre element. The adjudicators are people that
perform in musical theatre and/or dance or are directors, choreographers,
acting coaches and the like. The students must perform in a costume and
their number is completely staged with 60% of the mark on singing and 40% on
staging/dancing. There's also another category where it's judged on acting.
One of our students just recently was accepted to The Randolph Academy of
the Performing Arts which specializes in the "triple threat" approach to
musical theatre. It's a very prestigious school where people like Neve
Campbell and Gregory Hines come to do workshops etc. They even have a
television show all about the school on the Life Network on cable. Blair,
our student, especially enjoys his private vocal sessions with a fellow who
was Javert in Les Mis and was also someone (I'm forgetting who) in Beauty
and the Beast. He's learning from someone who lived the life of a musical
theatre singer/dancer/actor. Blair says that there is an incredible focus
on breathing (control/management/placement etc).
Hope all this babbling helps you.
One repertoire choice that suits the younger voice of a 12 year old (but the
character is older) is
"Once Upon a Dream" from Jekyll and Hyde. It's only got a range of about an
octave and everyone loves it.
"Anne of Green Gables" has good "kid" repertoire. Perhaps introducing your
student to suitable musical theatre rep. (even if it's not all "POP") will
stimulate her interest more than the likes of classical folk songs which
seem to be popular with so many voice teachers.
Jacqueline
jaxsobcon@n...
Visit our website at:
http://www.slightlyoffbroadway.com
Read Jacqueline's musical theatre articles at:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
http://www.musicaltheatreinfo.com

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com