Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  6:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Excellence in Singing: Multilevel.. etc...

I proofed some of one of the editions when I was a
grad student with Joan Wall, who I believe is actually
the writer (Robert, I believe, is more of an editor).
What I'm wondering is - this is already being sold, so
for what are you proofing it? I've seen it in my
local music store!

But back to the point, I think it is a revolutionary
approach to teaching and to presenting a pedagogy
text, which is what it is intended for. As for how
useful it is, I guess that is a matter of opinion and
also depends on what knowledge you are seeking. For
me, Robert's approach seems to complicate the
essentials. When I sat with the two of them and heard
her talk about what we were about to hear, things were
crystal clear. When I heard Robert read what the TWO
of them had come up with - confusing!

But one thing you can't say is that it is just another
ped text. Nothing avaiable even resembles it. Also,
it includes many bonuses such as a section on
medications and their affect on the voice. Things I
guess can only be included in a five-volume set!

As for use in the classroom, a $200 price tag may not
motivate instructors to use it!

--- EdgewoodVoiceStudio <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>