Vocalist.org archive

From:  "kandahar" <kandahar@i...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  4:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

> > << How do you deal with the problem of your
> > accompanist blowing it right in the middle of a piece? >>

In the middle of the first piece of a recital once, the pianist's music
suddenly fell down on top of her. It happened to be right at the end of a
verse where I was holding a high note for 4 bars. I didn't actually know
what was going on--only that the piano stopped. So I just kept holding that
note. Eventually the piano came back in with the intro to the next
verse.....

I'll admit I've been guilty on occasion of coming in at the wrong place
(something about nerves--a bar rest suddenly takes an eternity), but when I
come in, I'm in and that's how it should be. The pianist adjusts. (And I
thank the pianist profusely but quietly after.)

So you've just got to do your thing, no matter what! [Have I ever mentioned
the time the cottage deck--with myself and all guests on it--collapsed in
one spot during my solo at a wedding? All night long everyone told me how
impressed they were that I kept singing (it didn't collapse where I
was)--but I was disappointed that no one seemed to notice *what* I had been
singing!!]

Alleson Aering
kandahar@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1750 Re: Audition experience Lisa Miller   Fri  5/19/2000   4 KB
1786 Re: Audition experience Vivian   Fri  5/19/2000   3 KB

emusic.com