Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  3:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Breathing

In a message dated 2/11/2002 7:38:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> So mike....just out of curiosity...what should be happening when one
> breathes in yoru opinion? Are you in agreement that the breath should be
> low and your abdomen should be full and your lower back should feel the
> expansion? That's what I believe...and I see others here who belive that
> as well. What should a singer feel in your opinion? Nothing?

HI leann,

A couple thoughts here on breathing.
1) You will not find agreement on this issue........My opinion is that one
needs to experience, once or twice, what it feels like to fully expand, just
so you know the possibilities. However, I have found that overfilling with
air, just tends to jam up the entire process of singing. There is no way that
the vocal folds can hold back THAT much subglottic pressure without the help
of other extrinsic muscles. That being the case, you then get a raising
larynx that puts a huge amount of pressure on the vocal folds, and the
resulting sound is one that is harsh and "tinny". The next step many teachers
then take, is to encourage their students to raise their soft palate to "warm
the sound" and create more resonating space. Basically, at that point, you
are treating the symptoms not the cause. However, if one learns how to
properly adduct ones vocal folds and balance the correct amount of air
pressure, while making minor adjustments in the vocal tract to 'tune" the
resonator, one is freed of having to think of lifting, pushing, and
expanding, and as is rewarded with a full, resonant voice. Even better, the
singer can then worry about communicating the message of the music, and not
whether or not they have expanded their lower back enough and raised their
soft palate high enough to make it through the next phrase.

Just my humble, and opinionated, :) perspective.

Best pursuit in your studies!
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com