Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  6:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] G&S "lookism"

In a message dated 02/10/2002 5:15:30 PM Central Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:

<< Only once was I
fortunate enough to audition for a "non-lookism" director, who cast me -
despite my being tall and (particularly at that time) not particularly
"round and rosy" - as Little Buttercup in HMS PINAFORE. >>

Karen, have you auditioned for the Young Vic in Baltimore? I was cast as
Queen of the Fairies and Katisha despite not being, as Anna Russell put it,
"very fat, very old and [having] a voice like a foghorn." For IOLANTHE, they
put me in black and silver lame and I played her rather assertive,
particularly for a Victorian-era woman, and that was what was frightening,
not being a sight gag, which is too often the case with G&S. In MIKADO, I
was just dressed in a lime green kimono with a birdcage on my head, and
played her clingy, needy and desperate. It worked.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17368 Re: G&S "lookism"Karen Mercedes   Mon  2/11/2002

emusic.com