Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rose Nightingale Nickerson" <soubrette@b...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  2:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] An Introduction, A Hello, And Some Questions.......

----- Original Message -----
From: Greypins@a...
To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [vocalist] An Introduction, A Hello, And Some
Questions.......

i, too, suffer from asthma. i have noticed other asthmatic singers seem
to be particularly panicked over their breathing.

*Nod* I Know That I Do <Panic At Times, That Is>

however, if you are running out of air, it is more likely you are blowing
out more than you need to, particularly on high notes (on high notes less
air should be coming out if you are singing them correctly).

Thank You. I Do Tend To *Run Out Of Air* On The Highest <Sustained> Notes
And That May Be Exactly What I'm Doing Wrong.

i would also challenge you to name a piece of music that requires the
singer to hold a high note for 25/30 seconds (or, were you just
exaggerating?)
mike

Actually, I Wasn't Referring To Any Particular Piece Of Music. Just
Vocal Exercises And Separate Sustained Notes. There's A Register
Blending Exercise I Was Working With Called The Messa Di Voce Which
Requires You To Start Out With A Sustained Note At Very Low Volume,
And Gradually Go To Top Volume And Back To Low Volume Without Breaking
The Sustained Note. The Idea Is To Hold It For Twenty Seconds And
Build On Your Time From There.......This Exercise Is Really Difficult
For Me To Maintain Without Losing My Breath.......Same As I Sometimes
Do On Long High Notes Or Sustained High Runs Of Notes....... :o)

Rose

emusic.com