Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sun Feb 10, 2002  11:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] G&S "lookism"

I wish directors of G&S around here were enlightened. Only once was I
fortunate enough to audition for a "non-lookism" director, who cast me -
despite my being tall and (particularly at that time) not particularly
"round and rosy" - as Little Buttercup in HMS PINAFORE. Since then, EVERY
SINGLE G&S production I've auditioned for (with one exception) has
ended up using a short, extremely rotund mezzo or contralto as their G&S
"contralto buffa". It's reached a point - almost - where I've begun
thinking it's just not worth the time and energy to go out for these
auditions, and frankly I don't any longer when I know that the casting
director has a "lookism" proclivity. I only go to G&S auditions now when I
haven't heard of the director.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com