Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Feb 7, 2002  7:37 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] Bitter sweet!

elly28_03 wrote in regard to a G&S casting decision:
<<The director was concerned about balancing me off with another lead. It was
really a matter of politics since I am not a member of the guild. These people
are important people to me and I have lost a little faith in them.>>
and Karen commented:

<<This said, the last time I auditioned for G&S, the director told me he
couldn't cast me as the contralto buffa (in this case, the Duchess of Plaza-Toro
in GONDOLIERS) because I was taller than the baritone buffo playing the Duke.
This excuse for not casting me I just couldn't swallow. I tend to agree that a
lot of these "lookism" excuses are really just cover-ups for the fact that the
director has a pet singer he's already cast in the role. >>

I have observed that with Gilbert and Sullivan groups, more than other community
theater enterprises, there is an "in group" which often influences who gets
cast. I suspect this has a lot to do with investment of time or $$. These
groups always need help in money and volunteer workers, and someone who
contributes or is able to get contributions can have some influence in the
casting department. Also, with Gilbert and Sullivan groups more than others,
people are really fanatic, and put in a lot of time supporting the enterprise
because they love G&S so much. They build sets, they work backstage, they stuff
envelopes. If such a person happens to be a reasonably proficient performer,
that can influence the casting decision.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com