Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Feb 6, 2002  10:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Panic attack during audition

In a message dated 2/6/2002 1:52:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ingo_d@y... writes:

> Anyway, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is this something that I can expect to happen at future auditions
> (i.e., am I predisposed for panic attacks now that it's happened once)?

No. Not if you don't allow it to manifest again. Now is the time to
proactively imprint upon your unconscious exact behaviors and outcomes that
you desire for your auditions. In the same way an athlete pre-programs
him/herself before a big event. The classic example is of golfers envisioning
the hole the size of a canyon. You need to start now to get your mental
powers in line with the physical powers you have been working on as singer.
I can't stress this enough. You are not a victim of your nerves. Your mind
is the strongest contender of all.
I would recommend getting "Power Performance for Singers" and following its
program.

> 2) Any tips on how handle my nerves? I don't want another audition
> like this.

Yes. For starters, go back and deconstruct every thing that led up to the
panic attack and write it all down. How did you prepare for this audition?
How and when did you decide what you were going to sing for it? How did you
sleep the night before? How did you feel when you woke up that day and
realized it was audition day? How and what did you eat before hand? What time
did you start warming up? How did you warm up? What were your inner dialogues
as you approached the audition time? How much time did you allow yourself at
the audition venue? What were your thoughts and inner dialogue as you waited
to enter the room? When you entered the room? What did your body feel like?
Your breathing? etc.
First of all, just doing this one simple clarifying exercise will show you a
lot. It could very well get you in touch with just exactly how you
manifested that attack, and it may just trigger the awareness in you of what
exactly happened to specifically garner that unwanted response. Search for
that moment in your deconstruction, and see if you can find it.
Then, visualize and write out the perfect scenario for yourself of what your
next successful audition will be, down to the minute detail that you
exhibited in the previous deconstruction; what you're hearing, feeling,
seeing and thinking. Of course, remove anything that you discovered in the
previous deconstruction that is unwanted. You are in complete control.
Imagine a time in the future when it all happens just as you are planning it
now, and live that moment in your mind.
When your next audition day comes, write out the plan for the day, and
practice the moments in your mind just as you all ready know how to do.
And, as always, KEEP BREATHING.
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17311 Re: Panic attack during auditionSharon Szymanski   Sat  2/9/2002

emusic.com