Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Feb 6, 2002  8:58 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] HRT and PROGESTERONE

I think I addressed the issue of hormone metabolism in a previous post.
Let me suggest that we be cautious in our recommendations to others
about topics discussed on the lest unless we understand the issue
completely. I have no experience in vocal education, pedagogy, theory,
and so on so I try to avoid commenting on those topics. The comments on
progesterone and menopause have been potential problems for people who
take personal opinion and anecdote with more than superficial attention.

The metabolism of progesterone and estrogen are complex. People have
genetically predisposed levels of the intermediary metabolic enzymes
that convert hormone precursors. Body weight and other medications can
have an effect also. There are no universal truths about hormones.
There is no hormone that should always be avoided in every case. Each
person is different and must be judged individually.

I will agree that most doctors’ ideas about the voice stop at speech and
unless you specify you are concerned about your singing voice, you may
not get the attention to that aspect of your voice that you need. But
most doctors are trying to do a decent job of meeting their patients’
needs. Some doctors know more than others. Doctors who have written
books do not necessarily have correct information.

Natural progesterone is not the answer to all things. It is not easily
absorbed except through the skin or vagina (which is skin). Synthetic
progesterone works well for most women. Natural progesterone helps some
women with low levels conceive; it helps some women with PMS but not all
due to individual variability. Progesterone is only one half of hormone
replacement (HRT); the more important half and the part that saves the
voice if a woman is affected, it estrogen.

Rather than make this a treatise, find a doctor who is sensitive to your
needs and ask for a detailed explanation. Be prepared to pay for the
doctor’s time. It would be more accurate if you get a personal
explanation as the exceptions are as numerous and the commonplace
situations.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com