Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 5, 2002  7:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Heavy Mechanism, Light Mechanism

Hi
Here's an interesting quote from Richard Margison's article in La Scena: <
http://www.scena.org/lsm/sm7-5/Margison-en.html>

This describes exactly what we have been discussing lately about building the
voice from the heavy mechanism up, with the open column and back space:

“We worked every day to develop a different kind of vocal technique and build
up the stamina for sustaining my voice through a three or four-hour opera. I
think I learned more about singing high Cs by discovering the bottom of my
voice and creating a line that goes from the bottom up to the top. Early on,
Selena gave me a sense of singing on the diaphragm, not as a thing to push,
but to ride on a column of air on the diaphragm, using the extremities.
Instead of singing shallowly from the chest, we use more of the body—the
lower part of the body—and focus on expanding the back. It’s a great source
of help in terms of singing the high notes.”

The whole article is actually quite good; he discusses the weight issue as
well.
Just FYI! Enjoy!
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17240 Re: Heavy Mechanism, Light MechanismSharon Szymanski   Tue  2/5/2002
17250 Re[2]: [vocalist] Heavy Mechanism, Light MechanisVicki Bryant   Wed  2/6/2002
17246 Re: Heavy Mechanism, Light MechanismODivaTina@a...   Wed  2/6/2002
17251 Resume question, being nit-pickyMilena Sertich Grubor   Wed  2/6/2002
17253 Re: Resume question, being nit-pickyJa-Na Duane   Wed  2/6/2002
17254 Re: Resume question, being nit-pickyKaren Mercedes   Wed  2/6/2002

emusic.com