Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Sun Feb 3, 2002  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teaching flexibility, was: horne vs. von stade

In a message dated 2/3/2002 2:07:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> however, as i have found that using a student's imagery, that they
> themselves come up with, to lead them out of the quagmire, effective, i
> can't
> really say that i object to its use, even if it is of the 'horoscope'
> variety. but, this seems to me to be a position of disadvantage; having

Ah! Now I understand what you mean by 'horoscope' approach. A great term!
It seems to me that the horoscope phenomenon you experienced is because I
began my discussion at a particular point that presupposed that we had
covered all ready the specifics of phonation, resonance, appoggio,
articulation, etc. and that we were past those specifics and on to a more
global sense of the complete package of the singers' form in terms of
registration. If you are interested to discuss things more specifically,
that's fine with me. I tend to naturally, as a person, discuss things in
global terminology. Sometimes if there are mismatches in communication, it
can be due to the "chunk level" (global vs. specific), and it just requires
one to chunk up or down to where the other is located.
TinaO

emusic.com