Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Yvonne Dechance" <ydechance@h...>
Date:  Sat Feb 2, 2002  5:20 pm
Subject:  Re: wearing glasses on stage

Susan S asked about wearing glasses in oratorio performance.

While it wouldn't be my first choice, sometimes you've just got to do what
you have to do--and after eye surgery it's not uncommon to have to wear
glasses for a while. While there are many singers who go on stage without
their corrective lenses, I don't think this is always a practical (or safe)
solution, especially when you're using music.

Consider investing in some truly fabulous frames and think of them as
another wardrobe accessory. Pick your poison--bright color(s), rhinestones,
an interesting shape--frames have come a long way, and if you search you'll
find some gems. If that's not your style, look for the frames and lenses
that are designed to look almost as if they're not there. Check the reading
glasses displays in the drugstore/superstore as well as eyeglass
shops--sometimes you can find a great pair of reading glasses that can have
the lenses changed if necessary. Choose something that flatters your face
and follows your eyebrow line, and there's no reason glasses should make you
look older or unglamorous. I'd make my entrance wearing the glasses and keep
them on if possible, but if you need to take them on and off during the
performance, add one of those lanyards that looks like a necklace. Instant
Diva-Wear.:-)

My last two pairs of frames have been so deliberately theatrical that no-one
has ever questioned me (or even said "I didn't know you wore glasses") on
the occasions when I don't wear my contact lenses.:-)

-y

_Dr. Yvonne Dechance
NATS Webmaster, http:/www.nats.org
Email: webmaster@n...