Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 2, 2002  3:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] menopause

In a message dated 2/1/2002 4:18:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> it appears that you agree with me on this. concerning horne and von
> stade, i think of horne as being all or, mostly light mechanism and von
> stade
> being speech based. horne has even said (hines' "great singers on great
> singing") that she would imitate men singing in falsetto. von stade, to
> me,
> almost sings like a boy (her singing always reminds of the smell of a
> candle
> store).

This is contrary to what I percieve about Horne, actually. I hear her as
very heavy mechanism based, to the point of using what I call "raw chest" in
the lower ranges, with no light mechanism mixed in. I used to do this, (in
the Seguidilla, for instance) and my coaches would say "Too chesty!" Now, I
realize what they really meant is "Mix some more head in down there, open up
the column."
TinaO

emusic.com