Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Suki Jantzen" <sukijantzen@h...>
Date:  Fri Feb 1, 2002  6:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Reading glasses on stage

I have used monovision contacs for 2 years now with great success. My left
eye reads, and my right eye does long distance. Of course, I'm very
near-sighted and need my contacs or glasses, regardless of what I'm doing.

Did you think of getting a disposable (and therefore, instantly comfortable)
contac lens for the one dominant eye to use to read? I'm not sure this
would work with perfect eyesight, but I suppose you could put the one eye
less in focus to be able to read (?). Clearly, an eye doctor would know
better than I. Just a suggestion!

Suki T

>From: "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
>To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [vocalist] Reading glasses on stage
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:16:58 -0500
>
>Hi, all,
>
>I just had LASIC surgery yesterday!! My big debate beforehand was in regard
>to the necessity of wearing reading glasses on stage during performances of
>oratorios, where all the soloists are holding the music. I had to choose
>whether or not to have "monovision", where one nearsighted eye is slightly
>undercorrected so I could read without glasses. I opted for full correction
>of both eyes, because I felt asymmetrical vision in everyday life would
>make
>me nuts.
>
>So my question is, how do you all feel about wearing reading glasses on
>stage? Is it too un-glamorous, unprofessional, dumb, or what? Is it OK?
>Does
>it give away one's age? How would an agent, for example, react seeing me
>(I'm 45 but I don't really look older than 35) suddenly look closer to my
>age? Would he/she take me less seriously?
>
>Of course, I could actually memorize the role (ACK!!) but with only 2
>orchestra rehearsals and one soloist rehearsal, it's nice to have the score
>to refer to for cues and orchestrations, etc. I could also photocopy the
>role and blow it up a little. Or am I being silly? And if this weren't
>annoying enough, I'm wondering if the issue applies more to women than men.
>
>Your thoughts?
>
>Susan S

Suki T