Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Fri Feb 1, 2002  6:16 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Reading glasses on stage

Hi, all,

I just had LASIC surgery yesterday!! My big debate beforehand was in regard
to the necessity of wearing reading glasses on stage during performances of
oratorios, where all the soloists are holding the music. I had to choose
whether or not to have "monovision", where one nearsighted eye is slightly
undercorrected so I could read without glasses. I opted for full correction
of both eyes, because I felt asymmetrical vision in everyday life would make
me nuts.

So my question is, how do you all feel about wearing reading glasses on
stage? Is it too un-glamorous, unprofessional, dumb, or what? Is it OK? Does
it give away one's age? How would an agent, for example, react seeing me
(I'm 45 but I don't really look older than 35) suddenly look closer to my
age? Would he/she take me less seriously?

Of course, I could actually memorize the role (ACK!!) but with only 2
orchestra rehearsals and one soloist rehearsal, it's nice to have the score
to refer to for cues and orchestrations, etc. I could also photocopy the
role and blow it up a little. Or am I being silly? And if this weren't
annoying enough, I'm wondering if the issue applies more to women than men.

Your thoughts?

Susan S

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17152 Re: Reading glasses on stageSuki Jantzen   Fri  2/1/2002
17153 Re: Reading glasses on stagepeggyh@i...   Fri  2/1/2002
17154 Re: Reading glasses on stageSMSchneider   Fri  2/1/2002
17155 Re: Reading glasses on stageKaren Mercedes   Fri  2/1/2002
17288 Re: Reading glasses on stageFiona Chow   Fri  2/8/2002

emusic.com