Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  2:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]NOT Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?

In a message dated 1/31/2002 9:18:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ingo_d@y... writes:

> "Pop opera" is (potentially) a more recent phenomenon. I see it as a
> counter-reaction to the impact technology and industrialisation has on
> every day life. The masses are yearning for a return to simpler times.
> "Pop opera" serves to fulfill this need -- it combines the musical
> style of a 'simpler' era (consumer's perceiption) with gentle
> arrangements to soothe the frazzled consumer. Simply put, it fits the
> image that the masses have adopted of better days in the past.

ingo,

your point makes me think of puccini's 'oriental' operas. they are
about as oriental as the cowboy and indian movies of old hollywood are 'old
west'.

i think you can see a reaction against technology in a lot of art
forms. even in pop music (sorry for that term), mtv started doing their
'unplugged' series. many musicians responded very enthusiatically to the
chance to do something 'real' (relative to what had been, these concerts
appeared more 'real'). if you look at the 'grunge' movement, it was clearly
a reaction to the hi tech of the 80s. and while they were still using
technology in their equipment, there was a sense that they were using it as
if they'd found in the jungle rather than it being a carefully orchestrated
plot.

mike

emusic.com