Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  2:17 pm
Subject:  Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?

Caio, Mike, and Richard,

I realise that this is getting increasingly off topic, but in reading
the last couple of posts I began to wonder if the two threads aren't
somewhat related -- the next level of the opera art form and the
arrival of "pop opera". I have a theory which may these events.

Caio made a very interesting point when he wrote about the elite
rebuiling "culture at large from scratch, tabula rasa, by denying any
achievement from the past." And the three of you addressed the value
of packaging (Coke and Pepsi) and 'hooks' in selling a product (to the
masses).

I believe the increased industrialisation and technological advances
over the past century are the root cause. Just as opera was reaching
its zenith as an art form, industralisation was becoming an ever
present factor in the lives of the elite. Science was king and
technology and subsequently computers were/are in vogue. Romantic
ideals were replaced with thoughts of conquering the elements and outer
space. Romanticism had no place in this concept of the world, and so
the elite started from scratch.

"Pop opera" is (potentially) a more recent phenomenon. I see it as a
counter-reaction to the impact technology and industrialisation has on
every day life. The masses are yearning for a return to simpler times.
"Pop opera" serves to fulfill this need -- it combines the musical
style of a 'simpler' era (consumer's perceiption) with gentle
arrangements to soothe the frazzled consumer. Simply put, it fits the
image that the masses have adopted of better days in the past.

Image is the key here. In blind taste tests, more people prefer Pepsi
than Coke. But when it comes down to buying a soda, they choose Coke,
most researchers point to the image associated with the Coke brand as
being the deciding factor (in a way, this is the packaging).

I think the same holds for the 3 Tenors, Bocelli, et al. They all fit
the musical image held by a large audience. Being attractive, blind,
etc. is an extra 'hook' which helps cut through the plethora of "pop
opera" offering available, but ultimately the consumer must also like
the voice (as Mike already pointed out).

I'm happy to take this discussion off-line. I realise a lot of
Vocalisters will find this thread boring.

Cheers,
Ingo

http://auctions.yahoo.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17125 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  1/31/2002
17131 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Erica Zweig   Thu  1/31/2002
17133 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Caio Rossi   Thu  1/31/2002
17134 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Laura Ruiz   Fri  2/1/2002
17136 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  2/1/2002
17135 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?lolipastor@a...   Fri  2/1/2002
17137 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  2/1/2002
17138 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/1/2002
17142 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  2/1/2002

emusic.com