Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Jan 30, 2002  9:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?

A=415 is about 0.75 steps flat of 440. Baroque pitch isn't fixed at
415, though. It was different in different places. Even now things
aren't standaradized.

If you must use modern instruments, I'd opt for whole step flat
rather than half - here's why:

1) Strings will sound mellower, better approximating baroque
instruments which used gut strings at a lower tension.
2) The nature of the key will be closer. C major is closer in
character (to those who can hear such things) to D major than to C#
major is to C major.
3) It might be easier if it's a high soprano part ;-)

This is just my peanut gallery opinion. I am not a professional music
historian :-)

Tako

emusic.com