Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu May 18, 2000  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal Masterclass

--- Leo Morgan <leomor@g...> wrote: > Hi
all , went to a vocal masterclass last night in
> the National
> Concert Hall in Dublin.Bass/baritone, Williard
> White, gave the class. He
> has a super voice and is a good teacher. He was
> walking offstage after the session was over and as I
> was sitting
> front roe.I took a chance and asked him to sing. He
> was quite
> charming about it , said it was not in his contract
> but what
> the heck, and sang the "Vagabond" by Vaughan
> Williams.
>
> I had never heard him before. Has anyone on the
> list.??
>
> Regards Leo ----Drogheda
>

> Dear Leo,

I have heard Willard many times over the last 15 years
in London mostly. He has a fantastic speaking voice,
but I'm always rather disappointed by his tone when he
starts singing. Rather muddy and dull I think, but
hey, just my tuppence ha'penny worth! Be interested
to know what other listers think? A few years ago
there were a number of galas on UK television such as
The Royal Variety Show, Queen Elizabeth's 40th
Anniversay Concert etc and they would often have
Willard doing Old Man River. However, for my money,
the alternative to that, sometime used was the
wonderful bass/baritone Bruce Hubbard. Now, that was
a voice . . .

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey. Voice technician Bromley, Kent, England