Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Tue Jan 29, 2002  6:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Liz's weird ears

Monday, January 28, 2002, 1:22:08 PM, Elizabeth Finkler wrote:

EF> Bonus question: What was Mel Blanc's normal speaking range?

Mel's natural speaking voice was a low baritone - the closest
"character" voice in pitch to his own was Foghorn Leghorn, as far as I
can tell.

(I've got a videotape where Mel Blanc gives an interview, so I'm
basing my views on his speaking voice there).

I also remember reading an article about him right after he died - it
mentioned that an expert, in examining Mel's vocal cords, commented
that he'd only seen one other pair quite as remarkable - in Enrico
Caruso. Don't know the context - it just made an impression at the
time, as did the lithograph entitled "Speechless"...

Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL

emusic.com