Vocalist.org archive

From:  "elly28_03" <bellavocemia@h...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  10:43 pm
Subject:  In need of advice! Please! :)

Ok Im new here :P Here goes!

I am currently planning my audition for the University of Toronto vocl
performance program. I will be auditioning for the year 2003. I have
spoken to people who have had much more experience than me and now I
am rather discouraged. You see, they bombard me with facts about
themselves and accomplisments I have not yet accumulated. For
example, I have not competed in music festivals (not since I was 10).
I just do not have a huge list of accomplisments.

I have been singing for seven years and am often invited to sing as a
soloist in various church choirs. I am involved in a community based
choir and I am in my 5th musical production. I also sing at weddings
and retirement homes. It has been in this past year that I have
finally listened to that voice inside of me. I KNOW this is what I am
meant to do. I am 27 and I approach my singing very maturely but I
worry that I might not be good enough. Most people claim to have
studied under several music teachers while I have only had 2. I am
often asked if I am a professional singer and why I am not when I tell
the truth. It isnt that I am not confident. I know what my strengths
and weaknesses are. I also know that I still have a lot to learn.

Are these people just being uppity or do I seriously need to be super
woman? I am passionately devoted and cant stop learning. Isn't this
enough? People snicker at me when they do not know my techers name.
Isn't it enough that I have faith in him and he has faith in me?

Can someone offer advice? I'm confused, frustrated and rather
discouraged.

Elly

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17025 Re: In need of advice! Please! :)Margaret Harrison   Tue  1/29/2002
17032 Re: In need of advice! Please! :)Patricia M Smith   Tue  1/29/2002
17051 Re: In need of advice! Please! :)Karen Mercedes   Tue  1/29/2002

emusic.com