Vocalist.org archive

From:  "elly28_03" <bellavocemia@h...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  10:26 pm
Subject:  Re: nervousness, was: critical commentary/ breathing exercises

I think I would add that some nervousness can have a positive effect
on any given performance. I do not mean that the singer should be
shakeing like they have an earthquake in their pocket (this would, if
anything be a rotten experience). I find, if I am a little nervous
and keep it in control I have a much better performance than I do if I
feel flat. It is also good to have different strategies on hand for
dealing with nerves when they spring out of control. There are many
visualisation and breathing techniques that one could use in order to
help themselves fight off a nervous attack. My favourite (mainly
because no one can tell I am doing it) is as follows...

Visualize a square (4 equal sides)
Inhale for a count of 5 going up one side
Hold for 5 going across the top
Exhale for 5 going down the other side
Hold for 5 going across the bottom

I do this 3 or 4 times. Its a yoga technique that I also use to
increase breath capacity.

The only caution is that it shouldnt be used over a long period of
time- the user might pass out - or er drift off Ahem...*grin*
>Hope this helps :)
Elly

emusic.com