Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  10:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] i need recommendations

Having "killed" more cheap tape recorders than I care to count, I would
strongly recomment that you "up" your budget slightly, and seek out a used
Sony TCD-5M (Stereo) - which was the standard cassette precursor to the
Sony TCD-D7 and D8 DAT recorders. I've seen the TCD-5M advertised used
for as little as $30. Another good alternative - particularly if you don't
care about stereo - would be one of the Marantz series of mono and stereo
these are professional-quality portable systems used a lot by
interviewers, court reporters, and bird song recorders - the Marantz
systems tend to be less expensive than the top of the line Sony TCM-5000
Mono recorder favoured by a lot of bird song enthusiasts.

I would also highly recommend you purchase a decent microphone instead of
relying on the built-in mike in the recorder. I "splurged" on a "top of
the low end" Peavy PVM22, which I paid $100 for about 3 years ago. I've
been very happy with it, even when I've used it with el-cheapo tape
recorders. The quality of your microphone is really much more significant
than the quality of the recorder itself, I think, when it comes to
recording vocal music well.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com