Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  3:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?

Leslie wrote:

>My teacher would like for me
>to get permission from the publisher to transpose and then perform the piece
>in this lower key-not because I can't sing it as it is now written, but
>because it was ORIGINALLY intended to be sung this way. Has anyone ever done
>this?

I doubt it. You need no permission from any publisher to transpose a
piece of music or to perform it in the key of your choice. Your
teacher's suggestion to ask such permission suggests to me that your
teacher knows little about the BUSINESS of music.

>The other problem would be finding someone to transpose it-isn't there
>software out there that you can use to scan a piece of music and have it
>print it out in another key, or will someone (obviously not me!!) have to
>actually play it on a digital-computer-hooked-up piano?

The score-writer Sibelius easily transposes music by any interval you
desire. The Photoscore software can be used to scan a score and
transform it into a form that Sibelius can process. I have have both
pieces of software and maybe I could help you. If you'd like, contact
me at johnlink@n....

John Link

Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)