Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  7:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Evita - Che; Spanish accent

Naomi Gurt Lind wrote:

> >>"Joey, Joey, Joey" from THE MOST HAPPY FELLA. The character is actually
> >>Italian, but I suspect your friend could get away with singing it with a
> >>[Spanish] accent.<<
>
> It's my understanding that the Joey character in THE MOST HAPPY FELLA is
> *not* Italian; it's the older gentleman, whose name escapes me, who is
> Italian.

Tony is the character's name. I seem to recall that "Joey"
is sung by Tony's young mail-order bride, who's been swept
off her feet by the young, good-looking farmhand named
Joey.

> I wonder, too, if the student might be able to excerpt something from WEST
> SIDE STORY -- or do the Puerto Rican characters only sing in ensemble?

I don't recall any of the male Puerto Rican characters
having a solo. Just ensembles like the "Tonight" quintet.

> If the student is serious about singing, of course, he will need to work on
> eliminating the accent eventually.

Didn't hurt any of the three tenors or Julio Iglesias!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17030 Re: Evita - Che; Spanish accentdrama_diva_au   Tue  1/29/2002

emusic.com