Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  6:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Callas question

Lea Ann wrote:

> As I mentioned earlier...I am new to the opera scene, and new to the work of
artists involved. Of course I > know of Callas, and I know she is legendary.
However, I haven't really heard any recordings of her in her > prime. My new
voice teacher told me she did things with her voice that were nearly not of this
earth....I am > keen to hear some really great Callas. Does anyone have a
suggestion for Callas singing something > "unearthly" and wonderful?

With Callas, the earlier the recording the better. The
afficianados like the way she sang in the early 50's. In
any event, avoid anything she recorded in the 60s. (Read the
fine print on the CD covers, or search the Opera-L archives
on Callas and the name of the recording you're checking
out.) However, even though it was done int he 60's make
sure you get hold of the concert video she recorded with the
Hamburg orchestra, and you'll see what all the fuss is
about, even if the vocal quality isn't always what it should
be. Especially the first aria she sings, "Pleurez mes
yeux". Watch what she does during the very long orchestra
into BEFORE she starts to sing (the camera is on her the
whole time). She IS the music AND the drama. That's what
made audiences crazy to hear her.

Me, I love her as an artist, but I've never cared for the
sound of her voice. I suspect there's some technical
deficiency that probably led to her too-early vocal
problems. But even so, her style and phrasings were always
to die for, no matter what her vocal troubles

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com