Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  2:41 pm
Subject:  Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?

Hi List,

I am currently working on Handel's TORNAMI VAGGHEDIAR(SP?) from ALCINA for
our upcoming regional NATS competition. I have a recording of Dessay singing
this aria and it was recorded in Baroque pitch. My teacher would like for me
to get permission from the publisher to transpose and then perform the piece
in this lower key-not because I can't sing it as it is now written, but
because it was ORIGINALLY intended to be sung this way. Has anyone ever done
this?

The other problem would be finding someone to transpose it-isn't there
software out there that you can use to scan a piece of music and have it
print it out in another key, or will someone (obviously not me!!) have to
actually play it on a digital-computer-hooked-up piano?

How will this sit with the NATS judges? Will I have to tell them that I did
this or can I just sing the song?

I would really like to do this because I love this aria and if I sing it
what turns out to be a whole step lower it is a different timbre in my
voice-there is just a little more meat there in the lower key.

Frankly, I don't see why we just can't all go back to baroque pitch for

Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16968 Re: Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?Karen Mercedes   Mon  1/28/2002
16970 Re: Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?Fiona Chow   Mon  1/28/2002
16976 Re: Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?John Link   Mon  1/28/2002
17048 Re: Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?leskayc@a...   Tue  1/29/2002
17099 Re: Baroque Pitch--Can I transpose?takooda   Wed  1/30/2002

emusic.com