Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] shiny happy people

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Caio Rossi wrote:

> 2nd. Be those movements voluntary or involuntary, I'm not a doctor so I'm
> not supposed to feel OK when I see parts of the body whose aspect do not
> correspond to what you see everyday. How many people can follow a heart
> bypass surgery on Discovery Channel without feeling at least some
> discomfort? Now, imagine you went to an opera and the tenor was holding his
> heart in a transparent box linked to his chest and a thick stream of blood
> flowed in and out of it. Wouldn't that influence whether you'd take
> advantage of a 50-percent-discount seat in the orchestra? His blinking eyes
> are very much likely to produce a similar effect on the public, and that's
> the meaningful downside of this blindness, marketwise. If he really wanted
> to exploit his disability, it would be much more logical if he wore
> sunglasses, like most blind artists do.

I could not possibly disagree more (except with the use of such a poor
analogy between open-heart surgery and the physical affliction of a blind
person.) Hardly a PC person myself, I am somewhat disconcerted that
adults do not expect to handle themselves with decorum over something so
slight as batting eyes, a limp, the uncoordination of a victim of MS,
common disfigurements, etc. Can you imagine how someone with such
affliction must feel (not to mention the psychological development
involved) when people turn away, rather than looking them straight on and
accepting them for what they are and who they are? Surely you did not
explain yourself well. What exactly did you mean? If I understood this
correctly, them perhaps it is time to move on to another topic.

Best,

Mark

emusic.com