Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Wed May 17, 2000  4:28 pm
Subject:  re: audition experience

Zerbinetta wrote:

>Now here are my issues with this. (1) Isn't it a good rules of tongue to
>only sing notes in any audition/performance that you KNOW you
>have...consistently? (2) Is it really worth showing up to audition for this
>company knowing, or at least believing (since it's all really a psych job
>anyway) that on that day you don't have what it takes to make a good
>impression? It was a fairly well known regional ompany afterall.

Hmmmm...yes it's a good idea to audition only on repertoire that you know
is going to work for you. (As for a rule of tongue, well, I won't go
there! ; ) The thing is, there is no *always* in singing. Perhaps the
unfortunate woman at your audition usually has her Eb and something just
went wrong on the day. (I have had this happen -- not often, but enough to
know that consistency is a relative thing! I take comfort in the fact that
it happens to singers far better than I am on occasion, too!)

As far as the psych job is concerned, sometimes the mind plays tricks on us
before auditions or performances. Negative thoughts can occur before an
audition which turn out in the event to be unfounded. If this is a pattern
for this particular singer, maybe she is aware enough of it to have formed
the habit of disregarding the worries in the expectation that the necessary
energy comes to her when she needs it. And maybe it usually does...

So I agree with you in principle, but I can see where the complexities of
the human mind could muddy the picture.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com