Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  4:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] shiny happy people

Caio:>Maybe he wears sunglasses while he's off stage but thinks he looks
better,
or that it's more polite or expressive to take them off on stage. Maybe he
doesn't know that for some people ( like me ) it feels like watching one of
those bloody episodes of ER, but how could he know? He's never watched it or
looked in the mirror!

Lea:> This line of discussion about someone who is disabled is really
offensive in the extreme. It's really sad that you are all so bothered by
an involuntary action of a blind man...

1st. His blindness is being referred to as one of the reasons for his
success, in detriment of his voice and talent, and that's my focus: I have
to refer to his blindness effects on me and supposedly on other people to
build my arguments. There's nothing offensive about it and I have no reason
to assume whatever causes someone's blindness makes that person so stupid to
feel offended by those ON-TOPIC remarks;

2nd. Be those movements voluntary or involuntary, I'm not a doctor so I'm
not supposed to feel OK when I see parts of the body whose aspect do not
correspond to what you see everyday. How many people can follow a heart
bypass surgery on Discovery Channel without feeling at least some
discomfort? Now, imagine you went to an opera and the tenor was holding his
heart in a transparent box linked to his chest and a thick stream of blood
flowed in and out of it. Wouldn't that influence whether you'd take
advantage of a 50-percent-discount seat in the orchestra? His blinking eyes
are very much likely to produce a similar effect on the public, and that's
the meaningful downside of this blindness, marketwise. If he really wanted
to exploit his disability, it would be much more logical if he wore
sunglasses, like most blind artists do.

3rd. Bocelli, if you still feel offended, feel free to e-mail me in private
and we'll work out our differences.

>.none of you like listening to him anyway...so why are you watching him?

hey... didn't I say started watching something else? I think it was ER, btw.

>Geez how fast this has digressed into "lookism". That fat grandpa comment
is really rude as well....I am so glad you are all super models who are
fabulously talented.<

Thank you. But regardless of what you think, Pavarotti is still a fat
grandpa who sells to the same public the blind hunk, the fat adult angel and
the thin teenage angel cater to. If we're discussing appearance versus vocal
talent, that's a topic that must be brought up. My mother is a fat grandma
too, her voice is not that great, but I love her anyway. I don't like to
play with words, so you should start deleting my posts if it's euphemism
what you expect from them.

>What about any of you would the public find distasteful or distracting?
Anyone here going bald? Anyone here have a smoking habit? Anyone here have
bad teeth? Anyone here just plain ugly? Of course not.. you are all lovely
and wonderful in everyway with voices like angels. Yeah right...my arse you
are.<

Hey... you've just offended us! If you can do it and you know we'll read it,
why can't we say the same about people who don't even know we exist?

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16924 Re: shiny happy peoplethomas mark montgomery   Sat  1/26/2002

emusic.com