Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  3:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Translation needed, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

I fear that you are about to discover one of the things that all serious
singers eventually discover: the tools of your trade absolutely must
include translating dictionaries in all the major languages in which you
sing (Italian, French, German, etc.); the volume of "501 Verbs" in each
language is also quite helpful.

Then you must start the agonizing process of doing your own literal
translations - even if you don't speak the language. I've done literal
translations from German and Russian - both are languages I do not speak,
but which I now feel competent to translate and sing.

If you are a Portuguese speaker, translating from French into either
Portuguese or English should not be too difficult for you with the right
tools to hand. Once you've done enough of your own translations, you will
actually come to mistrust other people's - particularly the ones you find
in books, i.e., the "singing translations" which are seldom accurate and
sometimes not even remotely close in meaning to the original.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com