Vocalist.org archive

From:  richard@r...
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  7:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera

On Fri, 25 January 2002, "Caio Rossi" wrote:
> Richard:>Same as in, she's getting used by the people who have a financial
> interest in her, and it's not *what* she does, it's certain marketable
> properties of the *who* in which people are interested.<
> Among those marketable properties she has, you have to include WHAT she
> does. She doesn't have to be appreciated by Vocalisters to have a successful
> career. People like WHAT she does.

My point is that it wouldn't matter what kind of music she did, or even what
field or the entertainment business. Look at the Olsen twins for an equivalent.
People love an angelic little girl hugging a teddy bear and will throw money at
the image regardless of what it's selling.

It may be also because of "who" she is as
> a marketable product ( a young talent, cute, etc, etc ) but I don't buy that
> as the only explanation. People DO like her voice.

If it were a full-grown woman with the same voice, I doubt anybody would care.
The appreciation of her voice is *very* colored by her image.

> Regarding Bocelli, I think he just happens to be blind and that has little
> to do with his success.

You're joking, right? His marketing heavily plays up his blindness - it isn't
incidental at all.

Then you may say he's not a good opera singer and
> people like him, so it can only be because of his blindness and for being
> Latin ( btw, Latins don't exist anymore, you barbarian! hehe ).

What I'm saying is, the voice being equal, a white American guy with no
disability would not have the career or the attention that Boccelli is getting
right now. Watson is a slightly different story, because his repertoire *is*
mostly pop, and because he is British. The American music market has a very soft
spot for British musicians of any genre.

Those
> reasons can be easily ruled out:

> 1. Being a bad singer has never been a problem for those who like pop music;

True.

> 2. Most people can't hear any difference between the 3 "legitimate" Tenors
> and Bocelli. They sound like opera, they're said to sing opera, they're
> opera singers all alike;

Which only demonstrates that the invention of the microphone has definitely been
a double-edged sword.

Richard

emusic.com