Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  2:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera

> Richard>I actually feel sorry for Boccelli and Church - they're getting
> taken for a ride. I'll go ahead and say it: nobody would give Boccelli a
> second thought if he weren't a) blind b) of Latin origin. Some record exec
> saw him and thought, "Hey, I have the Three Tenors, Jose Feliciano, and
> Ricky Martin all in one act!" Same goes for Charlotte Church - her
handlers
> (not to mention her parents) are making zillions off of her, and she's
> killing whatever instrument she has as a result.

Caio:> Same goes for CC? Is she blind and of Latin origin?

Richard:>Same as in, she's getting used by the people who have a financial
interest in her, and it's not *what* she does, it's certain marketable
properties of the *who* in which people are interested.<

Among those marketable properties she has, you have to include WHAT she
does. She doesn't have to be appreciated by Vocalisters to have a successful
career. People like WHAT she does. It may be also because of "who" she is as
a marketable product ( a young talent, cute, etc, etc ) but I don't buy that
as the only explanation. People DO like her voice. She recorded a song in
Italian with a Brazilian "pop tenor" for one of our soap operas, and it
became a huge success here... because of the song, as happens with most pop
singers.

Regarding Bocelli, I think he just happens to be blind and that has little
to do with his success. Then you may say he's not a good opera singer and
people like him, so it can only be because of his blindness and for being
Latin ( btw, Latins don't exist anymore, you barbarian! hehe ). Those
reasons can be easily ruled out:

1. Being a bad singer has never been a problem for those who like pop music;
2. Most people can't hear any difference between the 3 "legitimate" Tenors
and Bocelli. They sound like opera, they're said to sing opera, they're
opera singers all alike;
3. I don't believe Ray Charles and Steve Wonder are so famous just because
of their blindness, although their blindness is famous too;
4. Their ( I'm including all those male singers you mentioned above )
"latinhood" may explain their success in the US, as it's something that may
come as a different quality for non-Latins, but that can never be used to
explain their success IN Latin countries, what makes a big crack right in
the middle of your theory. I don't believe people eat pizza all around the
world just because it's "Latin", or that the whole planet goes to
MacDonald's and drink Coke just because they're American. And they're to
good food as Bocelli and Church are to real opera.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com