Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  3:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and amplification

Lloyd:

>Typically they
sing these higher notes with the chin raised substantially (it is the
reason they place the microphone so high in relation to their mouth)
which displaces the normal level of the larynx, places extreme stress
on the function of the vocal mechanism, and creates the stressful,
strained, painful tone quality which they seek. The foundations of
this kind of singing can best be described by such terms as strain,
constriction, discomfort, tension, stress, yelling, and, in general.
everything that classical singing attempts to avoid. It is a choice.
Not my choice, but a valid choice. However, it is choice that is
destructive to the human voice.

I've never been much good at doing that, but whenever I do it right it's not
stressful, uncomfortable, tense, constricted, etc at all. Much on the
contrary. I had a teacher who could it very easily, and he always said
there's the wrong and the right way to do it ( don't ask me to describe the
right way. If I knoew it, I'd be GOOD at doing at any time ).

Caio

emusic.com