Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  3:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

I think it all depends on which pop music style you're referring to. Even
the word "rock" refers to many different styles that can't be categorized
together.

And I don't believe Whitney Houston, Tony Braxton, Celine Dion, etc sing
within their talking range, or that Mariah Carrey "whistle-talks"! hehe

And I don't agree that male pop singers go usually much higher either
falsetto doesn't count! ).

CAio

> Male pop singers generally sing higher than male opera singers.
> Female pop singers generally sing lower than female opera singers.

this is exactly right. female pop singers, generally, sing in the
same voice they speak with while female opera singers sing in something else
(i won't start that fight again). when female opera singers look at pop
music, they usually remark on how low it is while pop singers worry about
the
high notes.

it is hard to generalize what male pop/rock singers have to sing.
although, i would say that it is usually on the high side, relative to what
male opera singers have to sing. it is rare for rock singers to make
distinctions between voice types and, it is a frequent misconception that
the
higher you can sing, the better you are.

mike

emusic.com