Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jan 25, 2002  1:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical theater was Re: pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

Richard:

Bernstein and Laurents did not have their Tony scream anything in the
original production. Neither did the stage director/choreographer
(wonderful, I simply cannot come up with his name right now.
Embarassaing because the concept of the whole show was his idea.

You're correct when you say the role was written for a baritone. The
high notes are supposed to be sung in falsetto according to
Bernstein. The name of the game in the show is conservation of
energy because so much of the show is dance. For everyone.

Great to hear you had a chance to do it. I have done the work as
music director/conductor.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson
Flagstaff, Arizona