Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  8:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera (good news for Prof. Lloyd)

You'll be pleased to know that the great state of New Jersey passed a law
requiring that "live" concerts containing some or all pre-recorded material
state so in the publicity.

It was prompted by a notorious incident at a concert given by the late,
unlamented Milli Vanilli. The music started, the cue came up, the two guys
danced out on stage and.... the recording stopped. Milli and Vanilli got
flustered and ran offstage. Then the music (with vocals) started again,
serenading an empty stage.

You know, the audience probably enjoyed THAT a lot more than they would have
if the concert HAD worked.

MY problem with working with a recording is that I can't get the CD to
*follow* me! ;-)

Elizabeth Finkler (Hey Lloyd, how's your kid doing?)
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx

>From: "Lloyd W. Hanson" The conductor listens to a tempo metronome via a
>headphone not just to keep the show tempos consistent night after night but
>to coordinate all of the pre-recorded portions of the performance. Much and
>in some cases almost all of the so-called live performances done today are
>in reality pre-recorded (vocals, chorus, etc) with the exception of the
>instrumentals which are live. The conductor must then coordinate the live
>instrumentals with the recorded vocals.
>
>When vocals are pre-recorded and lip synched it can hardly be considered a
>live performance even if the live performer is there doing the lip
>synching.
>

>--
>Lloyd W. Hanson Flagstaff, Arizona

16816 Re: pseudo opera (good news for Prof. Lloyd)sopran@a...   Thu  1/24/2002