Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  5:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] pseudo opera, was: Singers and Amplification

Dear Vocalisters:

Richeard answered the question:
> > what's a click track?
>
>Typically a metronome piped into the conductor's ear via a
>headphone, I think is how it's usually done. What it amounts to is,
>the conductor has no real control, they're just keeping everybody in
>time with the tempo that's been agreed to by the producers to get
>the show in under a certain time, or just to ensure that it's the
>"same show" musically every night. It's done a lot on Broadway and
>in professional tours as well, I believe.

The conductor listens to a tempo metronome via a headphone not just
to keep the show tempos consistent night after night but to
coordinate all of the pre-recorded portions of the performance. Much
and in some cases almost all of the so-called live performances done
today are in reality pre-recorded (vocals, chorus, etc) with the
exception of the instrumentals which are live. The conductor must
then coordinate the live instrumentals with the recorded vocals.

When vocals are pre-recorded and lip synched it can hardly be
considered a live performance even if the live performer is there
doing the lip synching.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson
Flagstaff, Arizona