Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 21, 2002  12:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] image

Lea Ann wrote: And think
> about Eaglan!

I have seen Ms. Jane Eaglen three times in live
performance and have been astounded with her talent
each time. However, when she performed Brunnhilde in
Die Walkuere, her physical presence was a distraction.
Brunnhilde needed to walk down a piece of scenery
which was sloped -- I held my breath for a few seconds
fearing that she would topple! My companion that
evening spoke of the very same reaction. I was
totally taken out of the opera in this way a few
times.

Plump like Bartoli is absolutely acceptable to me on
any stage or screen, but obese (and unsteady) is
distracting and even frightening. I will look forward
to seeing Ms. Eaglen when I can -- fat or not -- but I
would really be happy if she would start paying
attention to her body in addition to her singing.

-Jen