Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 20, 2002  7:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Love, Janis

In a message dated 1/20/2002 10:50:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
johnlink@n... writes:

> I was never much of a fan of Janis Joplin, but last night I saw the
> show "Love, Janis", and it was great. The singer (Cathy Richardson)
> sounded and moved just like Janis, and the band was fabulous. If you
> want to see a singer give of herself in song after song, go see the
> show. http://www.lovejanis.com/

Now THERE is a singer I ADORE! I spent hours and hours in my room as a
teenager singing with her on vinyl in the 80's (she sings high. . .I used to
trash my throat trying it pre-training. And my mom used to burst into my
room, shocked and horrified that I was screaming my lungs out at top volume
led by this banshee of a singer.)
At any rate, I have lamented that there has not been as powerful a female
rock singer with chops and soul and sheer force of personality and depth as
her in 20 years. None of the current crop can come close, although Susan
Tedesci is the nearest contender, and, like it or not, there are a lot of
people who don't know who she is.
I've noticed of late that the most popular female rock and pop singers are
either waifs or pop tarts, not strong women with attitude. (Alanis Morissette
& Paula Cole may be an exception; although they are not on the top of the
game at the moment.)
I often wonder if it is the pendulum swing away from the feminist movement in
the 60s.
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16697 Re: Love, Janistidwellchristy   Sun  1/20/2002
16702 Re: Love, JanisODivaTina@a...   Sun  1/20/2002
16703 Re: Love, JanisGreypins@a...   Sun  1/20/2002
16709 Re: Love, JanisMezzoid@a...   Sun  1/20/2002
16711 Re: Love, JanisMezzoid@a...   Sun  1/20/2002