Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 20, 2002  2:22 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: charlotte

Andrea said:

<< The first
time I heard Kathleen I thought she was just
bad, the second time she was much better, but
still nothing spectacular. I wouldn't want that
sound after years of training - what a waste of
time and money. >>

and also said:

<< Give me Aretha Franklin and
a little "soul" in the voice anytime over those
singing in "Die Fledermaus". I'm so tired of the
"attitude" of the petty and jealous self
proclaimed experts who are nowhere themselves,picking on a little girl. >>

and also said:

<<Ah, I see I have stirred the pot hehehe. I see
that by admitting that I am a rock singer, I
have subjected myself to all kinds of
assumptions, that I have just begun voice,
lessons, that I don't listen etc.... >>

Well, I would say that your words "semi-trained" (although referring to your
ears, and not your voice) was what started those assumptions. Was your goal
to stir the pot?

Seems to me that there are lots of opinions of what is a great voice,
technique, charisma, etc. You have one opinion, I have mine. Some would
say that there is only one opinion that is correct. This is similar to the
"fundamentalist" approach in religion. I enjoy many types of singing
(although I can't stand most of the newer country music, unless it is live),
and can turn off my "teacher" mode when listening to most pop, rock,
country, and other "popular" styles of music. It is more difficult to turn
that "teacher" mode off when I am listening to a person singing in a
"classical" style. There are many accepted, traditional expectations for a
person singing in this style, and Charlotte misses the boat on a few of
them. It seems, from your statements above, that you do not like classical
singing (or at least opera...maybe you just don't like Die Fledermaus?).
That is certainly your prerogative, but you anger at those who "pick" on a
certain style of singer seems a little ingenuous when you follow it with a
comment about how you don't like the "singers in Die Fledermaus."

Kathleen Battle is not a perfect singer, but she has many qualities that are
important in the classical style of singing. Someday, Charlotte may have
all those, too. Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons you think
Charlotte is better than Kathleen?

Thanks for the discussion,

David Grogan
Marshall, Texas