Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 20, 2002  4:22 am
Subject:  Re: image

Lauren wanted some opinions on singers and images, so here's mine. I
had sort of an epiphany a few years ago when I got serious about having
a career as a vocalist. At the time, I had *very* short hair with a
braided tail down the back (yes, it looked funny), didn't wear much
jewelry, never wore makeup on stage (I was mostly doing chamber choir
stuff at the time, and figured if the men didn't have to wear makeup,
why should I?). I was very adamant that my image didn't matter, as long
as people liked my voice. I also hadn't gotten many solo gigs outside
of my church job.

I was looking through the Sunday arts section in the paper, and there
were quite a few divas in town that week, with ads complete with photos.
I was struck with the similarity of images of the women - they all had
cleavage, hair that took work to maintain, and above all, they were all
confidently *glamorous*. I realized that most of the ticket-buying
public does not want to pay $50 to go hear a female singer who (in my
case at the time) looks like a cross between a boy and someone
hopelessly stuck in the early 80's DC punk rock scene. (Too bad I
wasn't ready for Cherubino!) Part of the ticket price is for fantasy,
and I think audiences appreciate seeing glamorous personages on stage.
I don't think that we all have to be as thin as models, but we have to
realize that certain people in certain venues might not hire us for
certain roles if we're not. There are and have been many famous and
beloved overweight singers who work consistently, and all that come to
my mind have that aura of glamour.

I've got long hair now, cultivate my curls, wear lipstick every day and
complete makeup on stage, have and wear a vintage costume jewelry
collection, and am having a total blast working on my image and
occasionally getting to wear a diva dress. I'm also getting more
singing gigs than ever (of course, my vocal development has *something*
to do with that ;-)). I re-auditioned a year & a half ago for a local
professional group that had turned me down in my shorter-haired days,
and the first thing the conductor said when I walked in for the audition
was "I remember you! You used to have that funny haircut!". He asked
why I let my hair grow out, and I told him that I figured if I wanted to
be professional, I'd better look that way. I then knocked his socks off
at the audition and have been singing (including some solo work!) with
the group ever since. So, anyway, yes, try to be the best singer you
possibly can, but there's nothing wrong with cultivating your physical
beauty at the same time.

Sorry this post went on so long!
Yours in glamour,
Marje
mbunday@e...
http://www.altodiva.com

Lauren wrote: <<So, let's say I'm interested in becoming a high profile
artist. Should I
spend lots of time and money on my image? I've already got a good
start,
thanks to our good Maker, so should I capitalize on that and try to
break
through with my looks? Or should I scorn that philosophy and strive
solely
to be the best singer possible? Would impresarios and directors look
down
upon me if I come across as a screen siren?>>

emusic.com