Vocalist.org archive

From:  Hild <hild@c...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  11:55 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: Re: Charlotte

> Hild, about Liriel:
>
> >LOL- Why!? She sounds like a cat! Pay attention to the high notes...
> Well, perhaps you're lucky and don't have a neighbour that listen to
> their cd all day long =)<
>
> I'm not so sure it's just because of the mike. Raul Gil's talent show and
> Warner's overnight making of that CD for the Christmas sales are not an
> indication of good sound-engineering quality ( BTW, the arrangements suck
> too ). I have the impression her and Rinaldo's voices must be really full of
> overtones, but need better guidance ( which I doubt they'll ever get in
> Brazil ).

If it's the microphone or not i cannot tell you, but that's the sound
people are buying. I even heard some people saying she was the best
opera singer in Brazil! It's... yuk!!!!
Besides sounding like a cat she uses too much vibratto!
Anyway, for many people here a couple of Broadway songs is called opera.
Last year there was a poll on http://www.movimento.com (portuguese only)
asking why opera didn't attract younger audience in Brazil.
The answer wasn't listed. Have you seen the price of opera cds? Of
course people will rather pay 15 bucks and buy Rinaldo & Liriel's cd
than pay 30 for a Renee Fleming's which they never hear(about).
I don't know if you have that on your city but i went to one of those
"concerts" promoted by Zaffari's supermarkets. If you ever had the bad
luck to see one of these you know what i'm talking about. Free
"concerts", good singers, good repertoire. You know what happens? They
put some flamenco dancers in the middle of it to attract people. Then
you see the place full of little kids whose mothers want to see the
girls dancing, and other kids that are taking lessons and want to see
that too. Then they get those huge amplificators all around, the singers
singing with microphone in a place that it's more or less the size of a
small theater, the singers notice what kind of audience they're singing
for, and what kind of 'attention' they get, so they don't really care if
they're singing well and feel free to sing looking at the score. Then
you run away from there horrified and never come back while the other
people come back to their houses from a "concert" =))))

> >Credit Caballe's "popularity" to her repertoire. She sang stuff from
> Granados to Jose Maria Cano.
> Besides she has a very pretty timbre! But as someone else as
> saying(don't remember who =) sorry!)
> his image doesn't count, just ask how many fans each one of them has.<
>
> The 3 Tenors sold like water in the desert. And the only thing that comes to
> my mind when I look at them is the word "liposuction"!

Hmmm let'see 3 tenors in Paris, opera repertoire in 26 songs... Nessun
Dorma by Pavarotti! That's all ;)

> Caio
> > If he were handsome ( or deaf! ), I'm sure that would help him. But I
> don't
> > think his blindness is so important for his sales.
> >
> Hild:>Ah, he is cute! Don't compare him to Alagna or Jose Cura but he's
> good-looking!
>
> Well... you're a woman. You must know what you're saying. To me, he's a
> monster and ( I wouldn't make this comment in public, but it's relevant for
> our discussion ) the only time I saw him singing live on TV I was so
> disturbed by his eyelids blinking half-way by themselves that I had to watch
> some other thing. I don't see how a woman could be attracted to that, but,
> well, if "Belo" is a sex symbol! hehe
>
> Caio

No, how would someone think a guy name Belo is cute? Besides he's too
thin and that hair....
Bruna

emusic.com