Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  5:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Then- and now

In a message dated 1/19/2002 5:50:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
baritone21@h... writes:

> << Even the folk music in much of the
> world used that sound as the basic underpinning in folk singing. I
> know some will quibble about my use of "much of the world". I am not
> talking about regional things like Balkan music, Throat singing, and
> tribal chant but rather the Western World Standard. >>

ron,

are you trying to say that, if you were king of the world, you would
try to legislate musical standards?

<< THERE IS NO ACCEPTED STANDARD anymore.!!
> Entertainers can make an obscene amout of money because the public
> has been dumbed down to the point of accepting bad for good, ugly for
> beautiful, trash for Art, and garbage for music!!! >>

the 'emperor's new clothing syndrome' can be found in any form of art.
there are many who 'acquire a taste' for classical music because they think
it's supposed to be good. and, though there are many who fall prey to
advertising, there is a lot of music that doesn't fit your 'accepted
standard' that people like. perhaps it may be simple and easily produced
but, so are sex and pizza (who would argue the quality of these two?)

let us also remember that classical music was born out of artists
sucking up to either the church or, royalty or, both.

reading between the lines, in light of your proposed restrictions for
posting to this group, i can't help being reminded of botha citing the
advantages of apartheid. of course, i'm not accusing you of racism, just
art fascism.

mike

emusic.com