Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  1:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] image

So, let's say I'm interested in becoming a high profile artist. Should I
spend lots of time and money on my image? I've already got a good start,
thanks to our good Maker, so should I capitalize on that and try to break
through with my looks? Or should I scorn that philosophy and strive solely
to be the best singer possible? Would impresarios and directors look down
upon me if I come across as a screen siren?

Just wanting to hear some opinions....
Lauren

Well, concerning opera especially (pop music has been this way since the advent
of videos) we must consider that opera is still subject to the same crazed
standards that the rest of the world faces, everyone wants to be really thin and
gorgeous. This might be cheesy but there were so many behind the scenes images
and quotes in it... in the book "Back stage with Cecilia Bartoli" you can find
many instances of singers faced with image concerns. Deborah Voigt talks about
being backstage with Solti (legendary maestro) and she says that they were
discussing several projects and suddenly he took her by the shoulders and
looked in her eyes and said "Why are you so fat? You are not meant to be fat, I
can tell by looking at you." Voigt goes on to say that she knew her weight kept
her out of many opera houses and kept her in certain roles. And think about
Eaglan! Seeing her onstage as Turandot doesn't seem a little unbelievable? And
mind you I am a fat girl and even I raise my eyebrows... was it a critic that
said, they (she and Pavarotti) looked like two dumplings in love. We live in
a visual world, and unfortunately people are not always kind and image does
matter...actually making money matters and houses are interested in making
money, so they will always be interested in casting attractive singers.
Bartoli's manager says he is always concerned with her weight. Even non fat
singers like Patricia Racette, who in my opinion isn't gorgeous takes an active
interest in thing like publicity stills...some in gowns some in motorcycle
jackets so she can be sure to appeal to as many aspects of her public as
possible. The opera world is still a part of the world. Having a beautiful
face and a hot body will always get you "in" before someone with the same talent
but fewer physical attributes.

Which makes me think about 70's rock and roll, which I happen to LOVE. Steely
Dan, AC/DC etc...before the advent of video a rock and roll band didn't have to
be gorgeous to sell albums. We listened to music (keyword = listened) and now
EVERYONE is gorgeous, you MUST be beautiful to sell records. Bands like Bad
Company would never have a chance now. The last ugly genre to fall prey to the
image machine was country music....even 10 years ago there were still a few
country singers without big fake boobs or a tube sock stuffed in their
wranglers...not so now.

Blech it's all sickening...and I am saying this as a fat woman who wants to
sing. My brand new voice teacher (who I will see today) told me that at her
last summer opera workshop it was all about who was more attractive and who was
willing to do what to get what they wanted. It's not enough anymore just to be
cut throat NOW you have to be cut throat weighing 90 pounds with big fake boobs.

As I get more and more serious about singing I know I will have to lose weight
to get roles...even in the local civic opera. Thankfully I was blessed with
that Clichéd "pretty face" At least that's one thing I won't have to try and
fix.

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16636 Re: imagePJ. Garner   Sat  1/19/2002
16715 Re: imageJennifer Sherley   Mon  1/21/2002

emusic.com