Vocalist.org archive

From:  colin-reed@l...
Date:  Fri Jan 18, 2002  1:11 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] That darned rolled 'r'

Hi Ingo

Is your rolled 'r' at the back of the tongue because of being a native German
speaker? I've listened to a couple of German colleagues speaking English,
and noticed that they do have an almost French 'r' at times. I have to
admit, I have difficulty imagining you as a German speaker, because when
you speak English you basically sound American to my ears (no offense meant,
or taken I hope!) It sounds like you have your tongue too far back. The
tip of your tongue should be against your teeth, just touching your upper
set as in when you pronounce a "D". Then you have to put more air through
than you would for the consonant, and let it happen. I taught myself this
as a kid. It took a while because I was slightly tongue-tied, but it seems
OK now. If you're around after one of your lessons, I'll try to show you
what I mean. What times are you seeing Howard this term?

Best wishes

Colin