Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Ruiz" <laura@d...>
Date:  Fri Jan 18, 2002  5:51 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Charlotte

Caio wrote:

>>Your analysis would make sense to me only if she had been cast in an
opera,
or if opera listeners weren't able to distinguish what's what.<<

I don't think we, as trained singers would ever consider her an opera
singer, neither would most fans of opera & classical music. But she's
been marketed to the masses as a classical opera singer - as have others
like Andrea Boccelli - which she most definitely is NOT. She may
attempt that rep, but that is not what she is. What drives me nuts is
going into the classical rooms of record stores only to be bombarded
with the likes of Charlotte & Andrea. Give me a break. I'd rather hear
Thomas Quastoff any day - he just doesn't fit the media image the masses
seem to crave.

In other words, just because she's never been cast in an opera doesn't
mean that people don't consider her, wronglly, to be an opera singer.
It's like when I tell people I'm an opera singer and I get comments like
"Oh how wonderful! So can you sing that song from Phantom?" ARGHHHHHH.

Laura

emusic.com